Thursday, July 2, 2009

A fishy tale

I was at the Lido market earlier today and my jaw just about dropped to the very wet and dirty floor when I came across this scene. It must be the season of the giant grouper fish locally known as karatong.
This one according to a fish monger tipped the scales at about 120kgs and came with a hefty price tag as well - RM4,000.
Believe or not this fish was already taken.


Earlier on, another fish monger cleaned a smaller karatong that weighed about 92kgs and cut it up and selling its filleted flesh at about RM58 per kg.




And this is the head. I wonder how many servings of fish head curry can be had from this one.


As I returned home I recalled the first fish monger's remark that this type of fish is becoming more difficult to come by. I wonder if pictures like these will one day be the only evidence that creatures this size swam in our seas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad...
Like the coelacanth one day!

Ruben Sario said...

That is bound to happen going by the way we are treating our seas and the environment in general.

But for the fishermen and fish mongers, these creatures are just money in the bank.